Love it or loathe it, social media is here to stay. And now that “social signals” are factors in how your website is ranking, it becomes even more important to at least understand how the social animal works.
First a little basic SEO background. Here are some of the things that are important factors in how your website ranks in the search results:
- relevancy of your content (how closely does your site content match the search query?)
- age and size (number of pages) of your site
- quality incoming links to your site
Active involvement in Social Media can impact both the size of your site (if you are blogging on your own domain) and the number of incoming links to your site.
- Every blog post is a new page on your site
- If you title your blog post with your important keyphrases you increase the relevancy of your content
- Content you post, like photos and video stay under your own control and can increase click-throughs to your site when the images show up in search.
- If you then post your own blog posts out on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ the visits and links back from those sites can increase both your incoming link value and your site traffic.
- If you engage in conversation with your audience via Blog Comments, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn you increase the “social signals” that can impact rankings.
Do you have questions about Social Media? Please ASK!