I use HootSuite for social media management and have for many years. However, I’m still learning all that it can do. I have used the RSS feeds before, but haven’t done the setup in a while. Yesterday I setup links between the RSS feeds from my various personal and special interest blogs and my Hootsuite account so that new posts on my blogs would post through to my Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Getting setup is simple:
- Start in your Hootsuite Dashboard, click on the gear in the left hand sidebar (Settings) and then go to RSS/Atom
- Next click the + sign to add a new feed
- Paste in the URL for the RSS feed you’d like to “feed” your social channels
- This is where you choose which of your social networks the feed should be sent to, in this case, since it’s a personal blog, it will go to my personal Twitter Account (you set up separate feed items for each social network).
- This is also where you can make changes like how often the feed updates, how many posts are posted at a time and whether there should be any text pre-pended to the post.
- After you click “Save Feed” you should be all set. Any new posts to the RSS you’ve specified will “flow through” to the social network you’ve just identified.
- Repeat the process if you’d like the same RSS to feed another social network, like Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+ (Google+ only works for Pages not for your personal Google+ Profile… I think HootSuite is working on getting connected to G+profiles)
I think I have to be patient…. I set mine up last night and am impatiently waiting to see if they are working properly. So far, no posts have come through, but it hasn’t yet been 24 hours since I set them up. I’ll keep you posted on how it goes.